- Rice - 1 cup
- Milk - 1 and 1/2 cups
- Water - 1 and 1/2 cups
- Yogurt (curd) - 1 cup, scroll down for recipe
- Salt - to taste
- Oil + butter - 1 tsp + 2 tsp
- Mustard - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Green chilly - 2, slitted
- Ginger - 1 tsp, grated
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Curry leaves - 5
Rinse the rice, and add the rice in a pressure cooker with water and milk. Pressure cook for one whistle and followed by simmer for 15 minutes. Switch it off. Allow it to cool. After the pressure releases, mash the rice with the help of a spatula. Add yogurt(curd) and salt. Make sure it is warm and not hot.
Enjoy with pickle or and curries.
- If not interested, just skip the tempering part. Without tempering also the yogurt rice taste divine.
Home made yogurt :
- Milk - 2 cups
- Plain yogurt - 2 tbsp
Boil the milk till it forms bubbles at the sides and starts to rise up. Allow it to cool to 115 deg F or when touched in your hand it should be warm enough. Stir 2 tbsp of yogurt(curd) and keep in a warm place. Do not disturb for 6 to 8 hours.
Home made yogurt is ready. Refrigerate before serving.
Other recipes with yogurt are : oats porridge, cabbage yogurt salad and lots in eggless baking.
- The temperature plays a vital role for yogurt. If the milk is cold before setting, microwave for 2 minutes and add the yogurt culture. Warm milk - perfect yogurt.
- The fat content in the milk determines how thick the resulting yogurt is.
- After the yogurt is set, refrigerate it. Otherwise there will be more water content.