Thursday, May 10, 2012

Vendakkai kara kuzhambu

I don't cook dhal daily. I do this type of kara kuzhambu or vatha kuzhambu. This type of curry will be little thick and little spicy. There is no onion or garlic in this curry. You can add brinjal instead of okra. It can be served with plain rice and any dry curries.



Ingredients:

Okra(vendakkai) - 2 cups (chopped)
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Tamarind extract - 1/2 cup (from small lemon size ball)

To grind:

Coriander seeds - 2 tbsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
Red chilly  - 5
Pepper - 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Bengal gram - 1 tsp
Toor dhal - 2 tsp
Coconut - 1/4 cup
Tomato - 1

Method:

In a small skillet add 1 tsp of oil, fry all the ingredients in the same order given to grind except coconut and tomato.  After it cools down grind all the ingredients with coconut
and tomato. If need add water  and grind to a smooth paste.

In a large skillet, add 1 tbsp of oil and fry the okra. After 2 minutes add tamarind extract, turmeric powder and let it boil for 5 minutes. Then add the ground paste and let it boil till it thickens and the raw smell goes. Garnish with coriander leaves and temper it.

For tempering add a tsp of oil, add mustard seeds,curry leaves and asafoetida.

21 comments:

Mahi said...

Nice kuzhambu..slightly different from what I make..will try it once!

radha said...

I do not add tomato in vatha kuzhambu. And this looks nice. I will try this version

Lavanya said...

Nice one
http://lavanyasrecipes.blogspot.com/

anjana said...

looking nice and delicious ..okra is my favourite so surly try this soon..

Julie said...

Looks delicious n thick!!

Join me in the ONGOING EVENTS-"Ginger & Pepper Corns/powder(EP Series-May) ,
Show me Your HITS 'Iron Rich Foods'
ERIVUM PULIYUM

Hema said...

Nice yummy kuzhambu, I would definitely try with brinjals..

Jayanthi said...

Love karakuzhambu and that too vendakai I love it. The picture looks so delicious. BTW, check out the WTML event & giveaway happening at my space.

Spice up the Curry said...

yummy. looks mouthwatering

Alida said...

Looks really like a very good meal... yum!

Akila said...

My all time favourite

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

Perfect :)

Tina said...

Tempting..

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Delicious and yummy kuzhambu..I too love these kinds of kuzhambus

SYF & HWS - Fennel Seeds

Priya Suresh said...

Omg, super tempting and fingerlicking kuzhambu..drooling here.

Unknown said...

daal looks simply delish!

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

lovely and yummy! love the click too!

Teena said...

Delicious recipe!! Bookmarked to try :)

FewMinute Wonders said...

YUM-O! I love vendaikka kuzhambu.

Faseela said...

super n yummy curry.....

Unknown said...

This daal looks very tasty...

Natural medicinal herbs said...

my tongue is ready to check taste. Sometimes i will add herbs in my sabar.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Show all post